Basking in Busua


This past weekend, I went on another trip. Unlike my bustling journey to Volta, I had a super relaxing time  in the little beach town of Busua in the Western Region.

On Saturday morning, all of the ProWorld participants got together for our monthly Impact Project. This time we had to make cement bricks, which will be used for building a new clinic. It wasn’t fun, and I admit that I tried to “supervise” as much as possible to avoid doing actual labor. To make the bricks, you need to mix cement powder with sand and slowly add water. Then you shovel the cement mixture into the molds, making sure to pound it in there. Then you open the mold and plop the brick out to harden in the sun. I managed to avoid mixing the sand and cement and got the easy task of drizzling in the water. I then helped pound the molds and carry them over to where they were drying. The bricks were very heavy and we had to carry them in pairs. It was extremely hot that morning and we were all sweating. After making around forty bricks, we were very happy to be finished and get out of the sun.

After our brick-making experience, we got on a trotro to Takoradi. Along the way we bought Fan Ices, which are ice cream sachets, and bowlfruit, or doughnuts. Once we made it to Takoradi, we took another tro to a small town outside Busua and finally a taxi to Alaska Beach Resort. We dumped all our stuff in our little hut and immediately went to dinner. We feasted on mediocre burritos and margaritas. After that, we headed over to a rooftop bar where we danced with our Canadian-Ghanaian bartender, Sewaa, and met some fellow obrunis who work in Accra. After returning to our hut around midnight, we all agreed that we would sleep in late the next day.

Alaska Resort

Alaska Resort

Of course I was up and ready for breakfast around 6AM. We enjoyed delicious egg and cheese sandwiches and planned for a fun beach day. Busua is known for having some of the most beautiful beaches in Ghana and great surfing. While I decided to save surfing lessons for my next visit, I definitely wanted to take advantage of the warm water and soft sand. We swam for a few hours before warming ourselves under the brilliant sun. We had a brief lunch and then decided into looking into rent some sea kayaks. It turned out the kayaks were a steal at 10 cedi ($5USD) for an hour and decided to rent a couple. Max decided to surf instead, so the girls paired off for the kayaks.


The problem was, none of us had ever been sea kayaking. The men who rented the kayaks merely gave us life jackets and told us, “Two to a kayak. Paddle together.” We also had terrific timing and decided to kayak during high tide. Using some common sense, we figured that you had to swim out the kayaks past the break waves and then climb on. Easier said than done. Abby and I battled the waves for a good twenty minutes, swimming out with the kayak only to be knocked back to shore by a large wave. Robin and Lexie were having even more difficulty, as they are quite a bit shorter and couldn’t touch the bottom. I got knocked around by the waves a lot and probably would have drowned without my life jacket. I miraculously managed to not lose my sunglasses. Eventually we were saved by this European man who grabbed our kayak after a particularly rough wave swept it away. He said he’d help us get on it and took control of swimming it past the waves. When we made it past most of the big waves, we still faced the struggle of actually climbing onto the kayak. The water was too deep to touch the bottom and I lack upper body strength, so I performed a body roll to heft myself up on it. It must have been a hilarious sight. After bidding our helpful European a fond adieu, we began to paddle towards this island. We neared the island and noticed the strong waves. We decided to turn around rather than risk getting stuck on the island with no one to help us get past the waves. With my arms burning, we managed to make it back to the beach where our European and his family congratulated us on surviving. Getting past the waves was terrifying, but once we were paddling, sea kayaking was an amazing experience. I’m so happy that I went!


After kayaking, we were exhausted. We went back to our hut and laid on our beds for over an hour. Max returned from surfing and eventually we mustered up enough energy to go to dinner. After a disappointing dinner (the burritos were “finished”), we returned to our hut with intention of going back to visit Sewaa and the rooftop bar.  However, we got sidetracked by our beds and were asleep by 9PM.


The next morning, we slept in before having breakfast and catching a taxi and two trotros back to Cape Coast. I was sad to leave Busua as I had a fun and relaxing weekend. Abby and I promised each other that we would make it back before I leave in January. Besides, I still have to take surfing lessons!

Busua tips:

Cheapest lodging: Alaska Resort (beware of cockroaches and communal baths).

Eating: Eat at the restaurant attached to Black Star Surf Shop. I particularly recommend their breakfasts. The banana cinnamon oatmeal and the egg and cheese sandwiches are delicious. The restaurant at Kangaroo Pouch Resort appears to have the best burritos, but avoid the rest of the food if they’ve run out of burrito ingredients.

To do: Take a surfing lesson for about 40 cedi ($20). Rent a sea kayak (Preferably during low tide!).  Go swimming or relax on the lovely beaches.


Alaska Beach Resort


Our little hut



One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s